Tuesday, June 01, 2010

Garmin GPSmap 60Cx on Ubuntu Linux

I finally have a Linux-only solution for downloading and analyzing data recorded by my GPSMap 60Cx. No more messing with VMware/VirtualBox, Windows XP, Wine and Garmin's MapSource, having to wait a good few minutes just to retrieve a few bytes of data from the GPS unit.

I use GPSBabel to download tracks and waypoints from the GPS unit, I then upload the data to Garmin Connect for visualization and analysis. Garmin Connect is not without fault but it gets the job done.

My latest bike trip shown on Garmin Connect

Track shown in GoogleEarth

1 comment:

Yonah said...

HI,

i just compiled and installed gpsbabel to download and upload gps-data to my Garmin 60Cx, but i don't know how to connect to my GPS device. Can you give me any hints how to do that with gpsbabel?

yonah@gmx.net