Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Făgăraș Mountains at sunset

A stomach bug kept me trapped between bed and bathroom for two days. Lost about 4 kilos during that time. With perfect weather and feeling somewhat better yesterday afternoon I decided to chance a short trip into the mountains. I didn't have any big hopes, just to get up there and spend some time in the sun, and maybe shoot a picture or two. At Lake Bâlea I begun climbing, looking for a quiet spot, trying to escape the crowds. Slow at first, still weak and nauseous, I started getting my strength back after a while.  So I kept climbing. Reached Șaua Capra (2315m) and felt like going higher. Headed for a peak called Vânătoarea lui Buteanu (2507m) which I reached half an hour later, just in time for the sunset. By then I felt fully recovered. The light was incredible - long, deep shadows stretching over several ridges. Had to fight a bit with my Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 in those conditions but captured the images I wanted eventually. After dark I descended to Lake Capra (2241m) for more pictures. It was a night with full moon, the trail was clearly visible in front of my feet and after having spent two days in bed I was in no rush to get home. Got back to my car shortly after midnight. Bâlea Valley was fully asleep, only a couple of merchants were still awake, quietly minding their temporary shops. They seemed sad, as if knowing that in a few weeks weather will force them off the mountain.








No comments: